Saturday, September 6, 2008

STOLEN BADGE - PASSAIC, NEW JERSEY

See details about the robbery: http://www.dawnmcsweeney.blogspot.com

The Record
Passaic, New Jersey
letterstotheeditor@northjersey.com

September 5, 2008

Dear Editor,

I am watching Bill Moyers' Journal and your reporter Mike Kelly. The subject of the discussion is the New Jersey State Home Guard and the deployment of so many of them to Iraq.

They speak of their pride in wearing the Badge of their State, and my heart breaks.

My late husband, Clifford John Manning Carter was a Deputy Sheriff in Passaic, New Jersey, from the late 1950's - perhaps from 1957 - and into the 1960's. He lived in Paterson at the time. He was so proud of his badge.

After my darling husband died her in Montreal, Canada in 1992 at the age of 89, I treasured every little thing he left me, especially that badge. On October 7, 1996, I was attacked and robbed in my home. The thieves took everything I had worked for all my life and every precious thing Cliff had given me - including his Passaic, N.J. Deputy Sheriff's badge.

Every time I see a badge, I am left shaken with the pain caused by those thieves. The robbery shattered my family. And the thought of, not only being deprived of Cliff's precious badge, but also knowing that the heartless thieves have it in their dirty hands hurts me more than words can say.

I did write to the Sheriff's office in Passaic, but no one there had any information about Cliff. Younger people take over and the past is lost. Papers and documents get buried, lost, especially since everything is now computerized.

Is it possible that anyone in the Passaic area remembers Cliff Carter? Is there anyone who remembers his service as Deputy Sheriff?

I yearn for the return of Cliff's badge but the Montreal Police have been unwilling to do anything to help. I am still struggling to get my Member of Parliament, Marlene Jennings, and my Member of the Quebec Assembly, Russell Copeman to get to work and go after the criminals, who I identified to the police immediately at the time of the robbery. Since then those criminals have tried various cruel tactics to try to silence me so that I would stop pursuing the case. *

Who cares about Cliff Carter's legacy ? I am 72 years old and I have been fighting for justice for 12 years now. Cliff has been gone for many years now, but I am still his wife. I am still deeply in love with him. I am still so proud of who he was. And I will continue pursuing this case to my last breath.

I would be so grateful if your newspaper and Mike Kelly take an interest in this story. I assure you, it is a fascinating insight into the many flaws in our justice system and a moving true story of how a family was destroyed because the authorities in Montreal refuse to take appropriate action.

Cliff was a proud citizen of the United States. As a landed immigrant, he was a beloved figure as a gentleman musician here in Montreal for half a century. RCA Records made his only album, MR. NOSTALGIA, CLIFF CARTER in 1982.

I can provide detailed information upon request and I will gladly answer any questions. My struggle for justice continues.

Phyllis Carter
Montreal, Quebec,
Canada

* I refer to the hate mail, and the court order taken against me in June, 2007 and the will made in the name of my mother when she was 92 years old and handicapped, mentally and physically.

No comments: