Thursday, March 18, 2010

SCUM OF THE EARTH ROB DYING WOMAN

Two thieves robbed a dying woman in a Toronto hospital on March 17. The case is so similar to my own. I was sick with cancer and vulnerable when Dawn McSweeney robbed me of everything I had worked for all my life - all my best jewelry and my most precious, sentimental items.

Dawn McSweeney and her self-proclaimed "partners in crime" struck when I was fighting to recover from cancer, weak, helpless. They lied to my parents, tricked them, then stole everythng from me, from my siblings and finally from my parents.

Sarah Boesveld reported in The Globe and Mail March 18, 2010

Police have arrested one man and issued a warrant for another after an elderly woman was robbed of her jewellery in her hospital room just minutes before her death.

Police arrested Isaac Lewkowicz, 29, of Toronto late last night and and laid five theft, conspiracy and drug-related charges. He is also charged with four counts of failing to comply with probation orders.

Now, police continue their hunt for Marcos Marinoni, 26, the suspected co-conspirator in the brazen robbery.

The two men are also suspects in a string of futher incidents, a police source told The Globe. There has been a spate of hospital robberies in the GTA in the past six weeks, police say. Detectives in York and Peel regions are scrutinizing at least five hospital thefts believed to have been committed by trespassers.

Police say the family had gathered around the unconscious woman Tuesday evening around 8 p.m. and had just left her room at Toronto East General Hospital for 15 minutes to have a coffee, said Detective Constable Nora Blackmore.

While they were gone, two men entered her room and stole $7,000 worth of jewellery the woman had stashed in a small purse and two tins.

1 comment:

Phyllis Carter said...

While I lay asleep in palliative care in the Jewish General Hospital in October, 2015, someone stole my husband's cane. I learned that, at about the same time on the same floor, some scum stole an heirloom ring from the hand of a dying woman. Scum operates freely while crime victims wait for someone to care enough to take action.